Monday, March 7, 2011

Type 1 diabetes at 25 weeks of pregnancy


I’ve reached that point in my pregnancy where my fabulous blood sugar readings have started climbing.

I’m 25 weeks pregnant with twins, and my sugars began to rise about a week or two ago. I’ve been told that this is totally normal and expected at this point in a diabetic pregnancy, according to my doctor and all the research articles on pregnancy and diabetes that I’ve come across. (Please note: I am not a trained medical professional. I am a Type 1 diabetic sharing my experiences. Be sure to speak with a doctor for medical consultation on all matters related to diabetes.)

My first and second trimesters have been marked by fabulous controls. According to all those same doctors and articles, low sugars are quite typical during the first trimester, and I had many of those. I could eat a cup of straight cane sugar, and my blood sugars would not rise past 80. Now, I eat a celery stick, and my sugar goes to 180.

Alright, maybe I’m exaggerating a tiny bit. But seriously, my last A1C was 5.8. I don’t remember ever seeing an A1C like that in over 36 years of living with diabetes!

And now I am struggling to bring down 180s, 160s, 190s, 210s….

Correcting sugars like mad. Faxing food and blood sugar logs to my doc on a weekly basis (more or less). Raising my basal rates, and giving myself more insulin at meal time. Changing my pump more often – going from every three days now to every 2.5 days (expecting, according to the doctors, that I’ll have to change it to every 2 days in another couple of weeks).

And, worrying about the health of the babies as a result of all this.

The only thing I can do is to continue what I’m doing – checking sugars, taking my insulin in a systematic, informed way, keeping track of it all, heeding the advice of my doctors. I eat healthy more often than not, and I exercise regularly. I do my best to keep stress levels low, and I try to rest with my feet up often (very necessary for me at this point in twin pregnancy).

The worrying part is the part that doesn’t help. I know this – logically. But sometimes, I can’t help but worry a little bit. Usually someone is there to make me feel better and lend an encouraging ear. And sometimes I am a total worrywart in my own little out of control tailspin world. Worrying is a totally normal emotion. I am becoming a mother, right?

I know it doesn’t help me though.

And that’s when I remind myself: The best thing I can do is accept that managing blood sugar fluctuations is a part of being pregnant with Type 1 diabetes. And act accordingly. The rest is out of my control.

I don’t know if the babies will be affected or not. I’ll actually probably never know.

By the way, the high risk doctor told me that high blood sugars typically affect the babies when you have sugars that continuously read 250 to 300, or higher. That does make me feel better since I don’t have those kinds of sugars.

So is all this worry for nothing? My experience in life has been that worrying usually is just that – for nothing. Especially worrying over things that are totally out of our control.

I’ve been told that motherhood is a lesson in letting go. How about motherhood with Type 1 diabetes and twins? I guess it’s time to learn the lesson. You can only do what you can do. Life does the rest.

11 comments:

  1. I do wish I hadn't worried so much with my twin pregnancy. It was a beautiful time I didn't allow myself to appreciate as much as I would have liked. You're right, you do what you can and the rest takes care of itself. Your A1c is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I also have type I diabetes and I am 25 weeks pregnant with my second child. I had my daughter 3 years ago with an A1C of 6.5. That was AWESOME control for me....however she was still 10 lbs 9 oz. @ 38 weeks (obviously via c-section). My son (the one I'm pregnant with now) is measuring 3 weeks bigger and almost double the weight he should be. My A1C now is 6.0. They say diabetic babies can go either way...really big or really small. Do the best you can...that's all you can do! Congrats and good luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ivf cost uk

    Symptoms for gestational diabetes during pregnancy are similar to symptoms for other forms of diabetes. Gestational diabetic issues symptoms generally take care of after labor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your words that You can only do what you can do. Life does the rest. we only have to think positive only then every thing will be fine during diabetes problem. Happy to read your experience. Best wishes with your babies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a type 1 diabetic and just found out I am pregnant with my first. I found your story relaxing...I am a worry wort and even knowing that light cramping is normal ..I freak out. But for some reason reading your story and realizing that you do what you can do and let life do the rest is what I am going to live by through this pregnancy. Thank you and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am fully agree with your given article information. I really admire to this nice blog to post this superior post. what is diabetes

    ReplyDelete


  7. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I think I will leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.type 2 diabetes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for taking this opportunity to discuss this, I feel strongly about this and I enjoy learning about this topic.type 2 diabetes

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to thank Dr.okorom for helping me, because ever since February 2010, I have been diabetes positive it was confirm by my doctor that I’m diabetes positive. So one day as I was browsing through the internet I saw a testimony on how this great man called Dr.okorom help a girl called Emil cure her diabetes, this was really terrible, as i rush to quickly contact him for a cure, as i contact him and he told me not to worry that he will help me, that i should give him 1 day to cast the spell oracle {spirits} to tell him what to do, he later told me on what items and materials i am to buy over here in my country, i purchase them, so after the next day he call me to go for a test and i go for the test and i was now diabetes negative I’m very happy now that I'm diabetes negative I’m thankful to Dr.okorom for helping me his email address: dr.okoromspellhome@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. During pregnancy your nutrient requirements increase to support your health and the needs of your growing baby.


    Dr. Maureen Muoneke

    ReplyDelete